A thousand episodes of Start Here from ABC News
Caila Litman writes for Sounds Profitable this week with Gumball, looking at Good Data - highlighting growth in younger audiences and why listeners find podcasting compelling.
In the US, the flagship podcast from ABC News, Start Here, marks 1,000 episodes today. Since its launch in March 2018, the podcast’s host, Brad Mielke, has interviewed the country’s biggest newsmakers and earnt an Edward R. Murrow Award for Excellence in Innovation. Speaking to Podnews, he said he’s learnt “how much importance simple facts carry … Facts needs to be the most important thing you’re imparting. … It’s a big deal.”
Apple Podcasts has launched “Listen With”, a podcast playlist service to help listeners discover new shows. The first podcast guide is Jay Shetty; creators can request to be included in Spotlight, Listen With, and Kids & Family using this form.
Podca$h is giving $100,000 to budding podcasters, offering sponsorship to US podcasters. You’ve until March 4th to apply.
The Shelter in Place podcast has launched a training program for mastering the art, and science, of audio storytelling. With a limited class size of 24 students, registration closes on Jan 31.
Podchaser reviews are now available in Podcast Guru, a podcast app. Podcast Guru users can read, and add, reviews direct from the app - they’ve been able to see ratings in the app for a year or so.
B2B content marketers spend 82% of their time creating content, a report from Casted has discovered, rather than doing the actual marketing bit. The company produces tools to organise content, including podcasting.
PBS Digital Studios is to launch its first-ever podcasts. IT’S LIT! [UNABRIDGED] debuts in February; and EONS: MYSTERIES OF DEEP TIME in March. They’ll be distributed by PRX.
Moves and hires - with Pod People
- Sachin Doshi has joined Podimo as Chief Content Officer. He was formerly VP of Content at Spotify and Director of Product at Twitter.
- Laurence Grissell is to join Blanchard House as Head of Content; he is an award-winning documentary producer for the BBC, and has worked there for 22 years. The company has also signed with WME.
- Shirin Peykar has been hired as SVP of Performance Sales at Audacy. She moves from Stitcher, and will be selling podcasts.
- Dan Wolman also joins Audacy from Stitcher, as VP, Performance Sales.
Tips and tricks - with Podpage
- Apple has posted “Insights to help launch a successful subscription on Apple Podcasts”. Focusing on its subscription product, it claims subscriptions grow your podcast’s overall audience, and above the best performing creators, more than 10% of listeners have signed up for a subscription.
- Podnews lists Apple Channels - we’re aware of 291 paid subscription channels in our sample; we suspect the true number is around 500.
Podcast News - with Quill
Share your work with the internet's bestPaid content
Prove you’re the best at Podcast production. Enter the 26th Annual Webby Awards. Your last chance to enter is Friday, February 11th, 2022!
For over two decades, The Webby Awards has honored the creativity and ingenuity around the world. Just by entering, you show that your team can compete with the most impressive media companies, brands and leaders in the industry. Past winners include Crooked Media, Vox Media, WNYC, Wondery, Pineapple Street Media, and beloved shows like Keep It!, Why Won’t You Date Me, And That’s Why We Drink, Tai Asks Why and more.
To honor your work in the 26th Annual Webby Awards, enter by the Extended Entry Deadline on Friday, February 11th, 2022!