YouTube gives tips for podcasters
In the clearest sign yet of YouTube’s growing podcast ambitions, the video website has published a full guide on how to podcast on the platform. “Podcasts on YouTube help creators expand their reach and build their community while providing monetization opportunities”, the website says.
- It links to a comprehensive, 67-page, “podcast best practices guide” which goes into channel and content strategy. The service also says that full episode playlists are critical to the proper displaying of your podcast, giving rules on what to call your playlists and how they work.
- Comparisons: YouTube has more than 2 billion monthly logged-in users; Spotify has 456m. YouTube Music has now hit 80m paid subscribers, growing 60% year-on-year. Spotify has 195m paid subscribers, growing 13% year-on-year. In a year, YouTube paid $6bn to the music industry (Jul21-Jun22); Spotify paid $7bn (2021). YouTube’s podcasting front page is still only in one country, the US; yesterday, Spotify released video podcasting to 180 global markets.
Spreaker has released new first-party data to help advertisers to segment and target audiences. The company claims the data is 3x more accurate than third-party data.
Ad company Adthos has partnered with Sportradar to allow advertisers to use up-to-the-minute sport data in their audio ads.
Jam — the new platform for sharing and listening to short audio — has started piloting subscriptions. The feature provides a way for listeners to pay a small amount per month to creators to hear their short audio updates, called Jams. Initial pilots include, for $8/month, daily tips for improving your Spanish with TikTok star Patry, or $2/month for Office Hours with Entreprenista: exclusive access to the founders of the Entreprenista female entrepreneur network.
Big failures are often the springboard to bigger success.Paid content
Moves and hires
Abbie Ruzicka and Frances Harlow are co-founders of Arcana Audio, a new podcast production services and consulting company based in the US and Sweden. They both worked for Gimlet Media.
Podcast News - with CBC Podcasts
Podcast data for Nov 17
- #1 in Apple Podcasts: US: Murder & Magnolias (NBC News) CA: Run, Hide, Repeat (CBC Podcasts)
- #1 in Spotify: US: The Joe Rogan Experience (Joe Rogan) CA: The Joe Rogan Experience (Joe Rogan)
- In the last week there were 0 updated shows; 0 new episodes Data: Podcast Index
Latest Pod Jobs