YouTube Music is a music streaming service developed by the American video platform YouTube, a subsidiary of Google. It provides a tailored interface for the service, oriented towards music streaming, allowing users to browse through songs and music videos on YouTube based on genres, playlists, and recommendations. Support for podcasts was introduced in April 2023. Wikipedia
Owned by: YouTube
- Nov 20: YouTube Music is (whisper it) quite a good, if basic, podcast app. From your friends at Podnews, this website will help you - if you want - listen to any podcast in YouTube Music, via the power of RSS. Shh.
- Nov 15: YouTube Music continues rolling-out its support for playing podcasts via RSS feeds. You can currently add new RSS feeds to the app using Android or the web; but you can play them back on the app on iOS already. We built a website to help listeners find RSS feeds (and for podcasters to link to). You'll also find a new YouTube Music button in our podcast pages.
- Nov 10: Exclusive: On Android and the web, the YouTube Music app is rolling out support for adding a podcast using an RSS URL. This lets you listen to any RSS-based podcast within the YouTube Music app; it works as passthrough direct to the podcast host. So, even if your favourite podcast isn't on YouTube... you can still listen, on YouTube Music. (The app is pre-installed on most new Android phones).
- Oct 25: Total monthly active users reached 574mn (up 26% on the year). The company has 226mn paid subscribers (up 16%). By way of comparison, Google announced late last year that they had 80mn YouTube Music and Premium subscribers; and YouTube Shorts, alone, reach 2bn MAUs.
- Oct 23: In terms of YouTube's analytics, you can see how popular the YouTube Music app is for listening to your podcast so far. In YouTube Studio, go to "Channel analytics", go for "Advanced Mode" (top right), and then under "More..." choose "YouTube Product". Our data for the last 28 days suggests YouTube Music is already bringing in 14% of the total time spent listening.
See all news stories
Data credits: Podnews newsletter, Wikipedia