Spotify enhances chapter support for podcasters
Exclusive: Spotify appears to have enhanced chapter support within the Spotify podcasts app. Nic Ivanov, founder of Vizzy, notes that there’s a new Chapters section in an episode page, and chapter marks and titles within a new player which is rolling out to both iOS (above) and Android. However, Spotify isn’t supporting either ID3 embedded chapters, nor chapters via the new podcast namespace: instead, Spotify uses timestamps in the episode description, much like YouTube. See these chapters in action on Spotify in the Decorating by the Book podcast, which Vizzy has helped build.
Libsyn’s AdvertiseCast report that December’s average podcast advertising rate was $23.57 CPM, a drop of 4% month-on-month. The company’s release also gives an average CPM rate in 2022 of $23.87, which was 2.4% higher than 2021's $23.30.
With Deezer? There has been a data breach at the French-owned music and podcasts service, affecting 229m accounts. Have I Been Pwned has sent out notifications today. Your data is probably compromised even if you only used the service to add your podcast there.
Podcasting: the game, a free board game from The Podcast Host, has had an expansion pack built for it, with all kinds of additional challenges.
Tips and tricks
- Podcast Marketing Magic have a list of what you should, and shouldn’t, be doing in 2023 to market your show.
Podcast News - with editaudio
Podcast ads in the wild
Welcome back to work. Here’s what you missed over the last two weeks.
- Is adblocking coming to podcasts? Spotify’s giant hole, and Anchor’s share increases
- RADIO.COM for sale It’s only $2.5m. And that’s the starting price.
- Transcript services compared Insider claims podcast listening’s growth is slowing; and what Apple knows about me
- Podcasts take to the stage Spotify takes a look back at 2022
- Podcast advice written by AI A free event for indie podcasters, and listen to September 1939.
- Adobe Podcast Beta… is it any good? Our new ad-free feed; save on Podfest Expo tickets; ads in London
- Buzzsprout’s Review of the Year Every podcast story of the year that mattered. And, Spotify’s swanky suppers
- First speakers announced for Podcast Movement Evolutions Vice Media to make video for Spotify in Indonesia, and Betterhelp still the number one podcast advertiser
- How this fiction podcast makes money The most popular mobile phones across the world; and a trip to Frankfurt
- Goodbye, Anchor? The name might be about to disappear. Africa Podcast Day cancelled; more sats than ever says Fountain
Podcast data for Jan 3
- #1 in Apple Podcasts: US: The Catechism in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz) (Ascension) AU: The Rest Is History (Goalhanger Podcasts)
- #1 in Spotify: US: The Joe Rogan Experience (Joe Rogan) AU: The Joe Rogan Experience (Joe Rogan)
- Over the last week:
162,578 podcasts published at least one new episode.
That’s down 2.1% weekly; down 27.7% monthly.Data: Podcast Index
Pod Events - with Radiodays Europe 2023
Latest Pod Jobs