Video attracted the radio star
Freakonomics Radio has announced a new YouTube channel with its podcasts. The network also plans to experiment with short- and long-form video, and animation. It claims the partnership will help with searchability for their shows, and will make the content more accessible, with captions and transcripts.
Google tells us that Google Podcasts carousel links in Google Search (which the company said will go away at the end of this week) are being replaced with a new feature. A spokesperson told us: “We are always working to make it as easy as possible to find helpful information in Search, regardless of the form that content takes. Our existing podcast features will gradually be replaced with a new, single feature, What to Podcast (currently live on mobile for English users in the US.) This feature provides detailed information about podcasts, links to listen to shows on different platforms, and links to podcasters’ own websites, where available.”
- We’re not in the US, but, using a US VPN, we think this is the thing being referred to. It seems to link to Spotify and to Google Podcasts; and here’s a short video.
Our series on podcasting in East and South East Asia has been expanded today with a look at the Philippines - where true crime isn’t a thing for one very good reason - and Indonesia and Vietnam, two different countries with the same kind of habits.
Podcast host Ausha has launched a “smartlink” - a player for sharing that is intended to increase your conversion rate and downloads.
A podcast studio in Scottsdale AZ, US, is now open 24-hours because of demand. Podpopuli was covered by local TV news.
Podcast host RSS·com now supports multiple podcasts under the same account and supports uploads in a wider variety of file extensions.
Libsyn’s The Feed podcast has added a
podcast:soundbiteaudio clip from the new podcast namespace into their RSS feed: we think that is the first use of the new podcast namespace for the show. You’ll see the clip appear in this compatible podcast player. The audio, “there is no cliff”, agrees with Podnews’s analysis about the “big decrease of new podcasts”.
- Matt Mise has been appointed as Director, Podcasting & Head of Pacific Content at Rogers Sports & Media. He’s been with Rogers for more than four years, leading branded content and commercial integrations.
Tips and tricks - with Podcast Movement Evolutions
- Should you set up your podcast profile on IMDB? The Podcast Host takes you through the process. (We’re there!)
Enter The Webbys. Reward your team's success.Paid content
Entering The Webby Awards is a great way to recognize your team’s achievements. Just by participating, you show your team that their work deserves global recognition. It also signals to the industry that your team is one to watch, and work with. This is great for talent retention and attracting the best people in audio.
Enter the 27th Annual Webby Awards by the Extended Entry Deadline, this Friday, February 10th, 2023.
Podcast data for Feb 8
- #1 in Apple Podcasts: US: Huberman Lab (Scicomm Media) CA: Huberman Lab (Scicomm Media)
- #1 in Spotify: US: Harley Quinn and The Joker: Sound Mind (Warner Bros. / Spotify Studios) CA: Harley Quinn and The Joker: Sound Mind (Warner Bros. / Spotify Studios)
- Over the last week:
216,295 podcasts published at least one new episode.
That’s up 0.5% weekly; up 15.2% monthly.Data: Podcast Index
Pod Events - with Radiodays Europe 2023
Latest Pod Jobs