YouTube and TikTok make moves into podcasting
YouTube is offering podcasters up to $50,000 to film their shows, and paying podcast networks up to $300,000, according to Bloomberg’s Ashley Carman.
Is TikTok getting into podcasting? TikTok is hiring for someone to work in their “Podcast Operation” in Sydney NSW, Australia.
A successful Australian podcast goes exclusive on SCA’s LiSTNR app this week. 2 Guys 1 Cup got 28,655 downloads in January, according to the Australian Podcast Ranker, but will no longer be available on other platforms from this week. The Podcast Ranker means we can monitor the effect exclusivity has on their figures.
The Salem Podcast Network, part of Salem Media Group, made $6.4m in its first year. It made $1.6m in Q4/21; representing 2.3% of the company’s $69.1m revenue.
The Shore Scripts 2021-22 Fiction Podcast Contest winners have been announced. Two winners have been awarded a $5,000 production grant, and further $1,000 in cash.
Sixteen months after being recognised, the Parcast Union is still negotiating its first contract with the Spotify-owned company. The company is also said to have rejected a proposal designed to encourage diversity in hiring.
Accusonos is immediately shutting some products, and only supporting others until 'early next year’, it has announced in an email. The company makes audio clean-up software, and was acquired by Meta last month. /thnx Levi!
Dave Jackson and Jim Collison’s Ask The Podcast Coach have accused podcast host Podomatic of “shady practices”. Collison suggests that the company charged a credit card after the card had been removed from their system, and refused to refund in spite of Collison being a customer for more than a decade. Podomatic also only offers 301 redirects for paid customers.
Podimo has signed with CAA to identify and create opportunities for its IP … Fresh Produce Media has signed a first-look development and production deal with Audible … in Spain, Spotify has signed with PRISA Audio to make three new original shows.
The IAB Tech Lab has said it will not work with Russian or Belarusian companies on technical certification.
Host-read ads are the “beachfront property” of podcasting, according to Marshall Williams, the CEO of Ad Results Media. He’s quoted by Edison Research’s Tom Webster.
Moves and hires
- Sam Collins has been hired as NZME’s iHeartRadio Content Director. NZME operates iHeartRadio in New Zealand. Sam has been with NZME for more than two years; he previously worked at Global in London.
- Sarah Catran has also been hired as NZME’s GM Podcast Commercial & Partnerships. She’s worked for NZME for twelve years, most recently as GM Brand Engagement.
Tips and tricks
The Tech Stuff - with RSS.com
- Spooler’s “dynamic, real-time audio” publishing system launched last week. According to analysis by John Spurlock, on its first day, Spooler helped The Refresh from Insider to produce five editions of their podcast.
- Podcast Generator, an open source content management system for podcasting, is currently testing and bugfixing v3.2.
- Want to peek into the Podcasting 2.0 dev meeting from the weekend? Here’s the video of that.
- In our sample, we observed Buzzsprout losing 27 podcasts last week, and Libsyn losing 14. The podcast hosts gaining the most were, as they always are, Anchor and Megaphone; though Simplecast and Acast also saw a good number of migrations.
- Boostagram corner: After we wrote last week about possible ways to remove the email address from RSS feeds, Adam Curry sends us a 3333 boost to ask: “Spotify requires agreements before ingesting. What is their authentication process?” They send a claim code to the email address in the RSS feed. Dave Jones has also sent a 1000 sat boost saying “yay for Boostagram Corner’s return!” Yay indeed! Use a new podcast app to listen, and hit the boost button to send us a message and your support.
Pod Events - with The Podcast Show 2022
Latest Pod Jobs
Comments via boostagram
To send us a comment, listen to this episode on a supported podcast app, and send a message using a "boost". It will appear here within ten minutes.