Study: Spotify never recommends Joe Rogan
In his first blog for Bumper, Dan Misener looks closely at how podcast recommendations work in Spotify: and makes the surprising discovery that, while 14% of recommendations are to Spotify’s own shows, Joe Rogan is never promoted to users. (Misener is speaking at Podcast Movement).
Blubrry is to offer transcripts and captions within its player and in the RSS feed, for apps that support the podcast:transcript feature of Podcasting 2.0. All Blubrry customers will receive a trial until Sep 15; a paid service is powered by Rev, though you can also upload SRT and VTT transcripts from third parties. (Blubrry are exhibiting at Podcast Movement)
How many podcasts are still in production? A surprisingly small number, according to research from Amplifi Media and Podnews. (Amplifi Media’s Steven Goldstein is at Podcast Movement)
The Public Media Alliance cover the benefits, and pitfalls, with podcast collaboration. They write up a session with CBC, ABC and RNZ.
- The host of True Crime Reporter, Robert Riggs, is to speak at Podcast Movement later this week about the process of taking your podcast onto television.
Podcast app Fountain has enhanced its search, and has published more details about how to earn sats on the service.
The Tech Stuff - with RSS.com
- There’s a new website for the podcast namespace, linking to the official specifications and with more information. Supported by Podnews, it’s a community effort.
- Dave Jackson has made a video on how to set up your podcast for value4value with Alby
- Adam Curry and Dave Jones are speaking at Podcast Movement this Wednesday.
- Blubrry’s new captions (above) follow the podcast:index standard, so should display in a number of apps including PodcastAddict, Podverse and Podfriend. They join Buzzsprout in supporting the standard.
- Mike Dell reports that he has been appointed “Podcasting 2.0 Project Manager” at Blubrry. This is the first subject matter expert for the new podcast namespace that we’re aware of in the industry.
- Podverse is to introduce streaming sats soon (they already support boosts), after a playback library used by the project has been upgraded.
Moves and hires
- Alexa Marulli has been promoted at AdLargeMedia to Director of Sales & Partnerships.
Number one for podcasts - Aug 22
- Apple Podcasts: US: The Sunshine Place (C13Originals | Team Downey) AU: Your Own Backyard (Chris Lambert)
- Spotify: US: The Joe Rogan Experience (Joe Rogan) AU: Alpha Blokes Podcast (Tommy and Cam)
Latest Pod Jobs