200 podcasting jobs cut at Spotify
Spotify is to cut 200 jobs from its podcasting division. The company says that’s 2% of Spotify’s global workforce; but these are substantial cuts to the podcast division. While Spotify couldn’t tell us how many staff work in podcasting overall, various reports suggest Gimlet has around 125 employees, Parcast has about 40, and The Ringer about 120.Spotify Gimlet The Ringer Parcast
- The company’s Parcast and Gimlet production studios will be merged as “Spotify Studios”; The Ringer is to continue as a separate brand.Spotify Gimlet The Ringer Parcast
- Sahar Elhabashi, VP, Head of Podcast Business, also announces: “Simultaneously, in collaboration with the podcasting community, we are broadening our analytics capabilities by expanding Spotify For Podcasters, which will help creators maximize their audience on Spotify and beyond.” We’ve asked Spotify for more details on this.Spotify
Apple Apple Podcasts
- “Apple Podcasts will support episode artwork for all shows.” (See our episode artwork on the Podnews Daily). Episode artwork is already supported by Spotify and Pocket Casts.Apple Spotify Apple Podcasts Pocket Casts Podnews
- If you’re subscribed to apps like The Economist or Calm, you’ll get access to premium audio from those apps automatically within Apple Podcasts.Apple Apple Podcasts
- Apple Music’s radio shows will be available on-demand within Apple Podcasts.Apple Apple Podcasts
- A developer beta is available now.
YouTube is now the “most utilized podcast listening platform” in the U.S.: 29% say it is the platform they use the most, followed by Spotify (17%) and Apple (16%) - according to Cumulus Media and Signal Hill Insights, who have released the Spring 2023 Podcast Download Report.Apple Spotify YouTube Cumulus Media Signal Hill Insights
Forest, a UK-based independent audio production company, has launched Forest Sounds to focus on premium factual podcast series.
Chilu Lemba is to be the Face of the upcoming African Podcasters and Voice Artists awards season. Zambian-born Lemba is a radio and television presenter, voice-over artist, author, and musician.
- The Awards are to be sponsored by Afripods, it’s been announced.
Tips and tricks - with Podnews Live - where podcasting connects
- Apple Podcasts publishes Five new insights to help grow your subscription on Apple Podcasts. Annual plans are popular, they say. (Try ours!)Apple Apple Podcasts
Podcast data for Jun 6
- #1 in Apple Podcasts: US: Scamanda (Lionsgate Sound) IE: Scamanda (Lionsgate Sound)
- #1 in Spotify: US: The Joe Rogan Experience (Joe Rogan) IE: Scamanda (Lionsgate Sound)
- Over the last week, 216,022 podcasts published at least one new episode. See more podcast data at the Podcast Business Journal.
Latest Pod Jobs