Last Podcast on the Left to stop being Spotify Exclusive
Last Podcast On The Left has announced it’s no longer to be a Spotify Exclusive show. They’ve signed with SiriusXM’s Stitcher, and will be available in every podcast app, including Spotify, from Feb 1 2022; they’d been exclusive since Feb 2020.
- SiriusXM’s Stitcher has also signed The Bellas Podcast, hosted by WWE Hall of Fame inductees Brie and Nikki Bella.
Spotify has claimed it has more than 1,000 Spotify Original podcasts, in a blog post focusing on podcast producers across the world.
- Spotify is launching “its first video podcast in the UK”. Internet Sensation is available in both audio and video (much like Joe Rogan). It’s hosted by Alex Elmslie, a YouTuber, and launched on Tuesday.
iHeartRadio has announced the nominees for the 2022 iHeartRadio Podcast Awards. The ceremony will be on Jan 13 2022 in Los Angeles.
Sounds Profitable has published a deep-dive with RedCircle, a podcast hosting platform. Mike Kadin takes Bryan Barletta through the tools and how podcasters can monetise their content.
Congratulations to the winners of the New York Festivals Radio Awards Storytellers Gala. The BBC won Broadcaster of the Year; the UK’s TBI Media won Production Company of the year; Macmillan’s Driving The Green Book won Gold for Narrative/Documentary.
If you missed the IAB UK Podcast Upfronts, here are the sessions from Fresh Air Production, Podfront, DAX from Global and Acast.
- For Acast, their UK+ Managing Director, Georgie Holt, reaffirmed Acast’s commitment to an open podcasting ecosystem: “The open model and this whole approach is what made podcasting so loved in the first place: people can listen whenever they want, wherever they want and on whatever platform they want to listen to. It’s the best way for podcasters and advertisers alike to reach the most listeners, without shutting out any of the addressable market.”
Cool thing of the day: French podcast host Audiomeans has published Podcast City, a mapped imaginary city of 486 podcasts. (There’s a blog post here with more information.) Complete with outdoor cafés, a medieval old town, a business district and parks, the only things missing to make it properly authentic is an eye-wateringly expensive café-au-lait from a waiter who doesn’t like you and wishes you’d leave.
- Liz Alesse has been announced as Director and Executive Producer of Podcast Programming for ABC News in the US. She had been leading the podcast team for six months, and joined ABC News in 2015.
- Samiah Adams has launched House of Howard, a company specialising in production project management and operations consulting. She had worked at Gilded Audio and Pinna.
Tips and tricks
Carey Green has written the first in a series on creating an efficient and effective podcast workflow, which he says will make your show easier, manageable, mistake-free and effective.
How I grew my podcast to 40,000 downloads per month, from Eric Skwarczynski, recommends, among other things, Tik Tok.
The Reynolds Journalism Institute published “Experts share their tips for making the most from many audio formats”, interviewing a number of experts.