Podimo secures $78m series B round to invest in original content and further global expansion
This article is at least a year old
- With a user-centric revenue sharing model, Podimo actively supports artists and helps nurture direct-to-fan relationships.
- Podimo translates international content to local markets’ native languages, since an average of 93% of listeners prefer to listen in their native language
- In 2021 Podimo doubled its output of exclusive shows week on week, now hosting more than 950+ original, exclusive shows.
- Podimo Kids, an independent channel with specific content for children between 2 and 10 years old, has launched in Denmark, Germany and Spain.
- Podimo has seen successful translations of hit shows such as “Mord i Nord”, “The Missing” and “Swindled” which have resonated strongly in new markets.
- Podimo Deutschland was the only non-US entry to Apple’s top 10 Podcasts Subscription Channels - Variety: Apple Reveals Most Popular Podcast Subscriptions and Free Channels
Podimo, the fast-growing Copenhagen-founded subscription service for audio entertainment and podcasts, announces that it has secured $78 million in a Series B round of funding, led by 83North and Highland Europe, with participation from existing investors Chr. Augustinus, Heartcore, Saban Ventures, Headline and Possible Ventures.
“The podcast and audio market is expected to grow beyond 50 billion USD over the next 5-6 years, with more and more audiences discovering compelling, short-form, spoken word audio every day. It’s a tremendous opportunity, and with our strategic focus on content in local markets’ native languages, we feel well positioned to grab a substantial part of this market,” says CEO and founder Morten Strunge. “With a solid foundation, we can accelerate our investments into premium original and exclusive content from today’s most exciting and important voices, bringing in more users and bigger payouts to creators, while applying our learnings to new market expansion.”
On how Podimo adds value for listeners and creators alike, Strunge says, “Our model provides premium content and a seamless user experience through AI-driven personalized recommendations and video trailers. As a full service content production house, we can enrich existing IP in new and exciting ways, as well as produce our own IP, challenging what listeners can expect from short and long form audio now, and in the future.”
“Traction has been strong and they have proven the model in multiple markets - now is the time to accelerate growth in existing markets and open up new ones,” says Arnon Dinur, Partner at 83North.
“In a short time Podimo has become the European market leader for subscription short-form audio in local languages. Sharing revenue with creators gives it a unique edge and we see even more potential in new markets," adds Fergal Mullen, Partner at Highland Europe.
Top podcasts by market:
- Denmark (Mads & A-holdet, Om Søndagen Graeder Vi (w/ Hella Joof & Marie Louise Tuxen), Dronningen & Kunsten (w/ HM Margrethe, Queen of Denmark)
- Spain (“Las del Grupo” from Silvia Abril and Toni Acosta, “Lo que tú digas” from Alex Fidalgo, “Sintonías infrecuentes” from Felipe González, “Keep it cutre” from Angela Henche and Albania San Román)
- Germany (Im Dunkeln - Der Fall Rebecca Reusch, Drei ist 'ne Party! - Marie Nasemann & Sebastian Tigges, In extremen Köpfen - mit Dr. Leon Windscheid, Ein Mensch verschwindet - Daniel Küblböck)
- Norway (Råning med Tone, G-punktet, Bagateller, Erotisk Lesesirkel)
Strategic partnerships: include iHeartMedia and Wondery; leading German audio platform FYEO and Norwegian bestselling crime writer Jo Nesbø.
Founded in 2019, Podimo is a premium audio platform that offers thousands of exclusive podcasts, audiobooks and experiences in both short and long formats, as well as your favorite podcasts from anywhere in the world via RSS feeds. Subscribers have access to a rich catalog of 950+ Podimo-produced original, exclusive shows from exciting names and titles not available anywhere else, highly personalized and curated editorial recommendations, and access to an expansive selection of engaging stories through partnerships with iHeartMedia, Wondery, German audio platform FYEO, influential voices like Norwegian bestselling crime writer Jo Nesbø, and more. Podimo supports creators directly through their user-centric revenue share model, with membership fees shared directly with the content you listen to each month, creating a closer than ever direct-to-fan relationship. Podimo is currently available in Denmark, Germany, Spain, Norway and across Latin America with offices spread across Copenhagen, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, London, Amsterdam, Mexico City, Oslo and Vilnius. https://podimo.com
This is a press release which we link to from Podnews, our daily newsletter about podcasting and on-demand. We may make small edits for editorial reasons.