Owned by: Spotify
- Aug 22: Troy Farkas, a former producer for The Ringer and ESPN, has published his first book. Surrender: A Guide to Living Your Best Life in Your Twenties includes his own experiences and lessons learned from his time navigating the early stages of his career at both companies.
- Jun 6: Spotify is to cut 200 jobs from its podcasting division. The company says that's 2% of Spotify's global workforce; but these are substantial cuts to the podcast division. While Spotify couldn't tell us how many staff work in podcasting overall, various reports suggest Gimlet has around 125 employees, Parcast has about 40, and The Ringer about 120.
- Apr 19: A generally held truth is that none of Spotify's The Ringer shows are exclusive to the platform. That's not quite true: The Ringer MMA Show has been mainly exclusive on Spotify. The show was once produced on Spotify Greenroom; it appears to now be made using Twitter Spaces.
- Mar 24: Hiding in The Ringer NFL Show over the next week is Blackballed, a new four-part narrative podcast hosted by Chelsea Stark-Jones examining the “Forgotten Four” Black players who reintegrated professional football in 1946. It's new from Spotify's The Ringer.
- Oct 14, 2022: The spotlight is focusing on Spotify's podcasting business. Skye Pillsbury has published "an oral history of Gimlet's slow demise" after interviewing five current and former Gimlet staffers. Ariel Shapiro takes a look at Spotify’s practice of making its podcasts exclusive, and also notes that The Ringer didn't make any layoffs. Ashley Carman suggests that Spotify is refining its strategy.
See all news stories
Data credits: Podnews newsletter