Owned by: iHeartMedia
- Dec 6, 2021: After dismal audience figures, the all-podcast radio format has been dropped by iHeartRadio from its two AM stations KABQ Albuquerque (in favour of Christmas music), and WSAN in Bethlehem PA (in favour of oldies). A radio executive described these stations to Podnews as "poorly executed and confusing" when they launched; iHeart-owned Inside Radio reports that both stations only managed a 0.1% market share. "iHeartPodcast 95.9" WEBG, an FM station, is still airing non-stop podcasts: that station, licenced to serve Mina NY (population 1,016) is audible in parts of Erie PA (pop 94,831).
- Aug 5, 2021: Inside Radio has unveiled The Most Powerful People In Podcasting 2021: #1 is Conal Byrne, the CEO of iHeart's Digital Audio Group. Inside Radio is owned by iHeartMedia, a fact you won't find disclosed on either company's website.
- Mar 12, 2021: Meanwhile, iHeartRadio's Inside Radio reports data from Edison Research's Share of Ear study (Q4 2020). That claims that podcast listening accounts for 6% of all audio consumption; radio (AM/FM and SiriusXM) takes almost eight times that (47%). There's plenty more space to grow.
- Jan 17, 2020: iHeart-owned Inside Radio interviews former iHeart employee Owen Grover about Pocket Casts. "We have seen well over 20% growth in our number of users just in the past two months," Grover says.
- Oct 8, 2019: In the 'top marks for spin' department: Inside Radio, which is owned by iHeart, says: "By number of shows, iHeart remains the clear victor".
See all news stories
Data credits: Podnews newsletter