Google Podcasts is a podcast application developed by Google and released on June 18, 2018, for Android devices. Wikipedia
Owned by: Google
- Sep 29: 58% of Australians listen to podcasts, claims new data from YouGov. The data also suggests that music is the most listened-to podcast genre, and Spotify is the #1 platform. 8% of all Australians use Google Podcasts, which is to close next year.
- Sep 27: Google Podcasts is to close, the company has announced. The news confirms Podnews's coverage in August that YouTube Music will allow you to add any RSS feed to the app, so you can continue to listen to your favourite shows in YouTube Music as a replacement. The company is working on a migration tool. They've also communicated the upcoming closure to listeners.
- Sep 15: At least three people are suggesting that Google Podcasts has automatically subscribed them to the Impaulsive podcast.
- Aug 14: Bad news: YouTube's Kai Chuk is no longer answering questions at Podcast Movement (Wed, 2.30pm, Aurora C). Good news: his place will be taken by the Product Lead Podcasting at Google, Steve McLendon. A former co-founder of 60dB, he's been involved in the launch of podcasts on YouTube, but also looks after Google Podcasts - so knows a thing or two about the whole space. We hope to be there (if we can squeeze in) - the session's sponsored by Ausha.
- Jul 6: DISQO has released a free report containing data from more than 17,000 podcast listeners. Spotify is the most "preferred" podcast platform, though Spotify skews significantly younger than Apple Podcasts. For people aged 65+, Google Podcasts and Apple Podcasts are most 'preferred' (after the radio).
See all news stories
Data credits: Podnews newsletter, Wikipedia