Owned by: Penn Entertainment
- Jan 16: What will Joe Rogan do when his Spotify contract is up for renewal? Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy was on Joe Rogan's show on Jan 5, and asked how Rogan dealt with the controversy last year (from 1hr21m). "Spotify stood by me the way they stand by rappers", Rogan said, but then acknowledged that he'd have been removed from the platform if he wasn't as successful. He added 2m subscribers during the negative publicity, he said; and Rogan also railed against YouTube's demonetisation policy which apparently affected 25-30% of his videos prior to his Spotify deal.
- Oct 28, 2022: Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy is no longer doing his podcast, The Dave Portnoy Show. He says his show was terrible. "I'm not going to do content that I know stinks," he added.
- Aug 18, 2022: Penn Entertainment has told the SEC that it plans to to purchase the remaining shares of Barstool Sports for $387m. It bought 36% of the company in 2020.
- Mar 9, 2022: Mikey Fowler has been made VP and GM of a new podcast production house, Audiorama. He was previously at Barstool Sports. The company launches its first podcast today, called Youth Inc, which is hosted by Adori Labs.
- Feb 8, 2022: AdLarge has welcomed Late Night Drive with Ellie Schnitt to its portfolio, the former host of the Barstool Sports podcast Schnitt Talk, focusing on mental health, love, and navigating adult life.
See all news stories
Data credits: Podnews newsletter