Payne Lindsey's new show
Tenderfoot TV and Cadence13 have extended a podcast partnership through 2024. A number of new shows are planned, included a UFO investigative series hosted by Tenderfoot TV’s co-founder, Payne Lindsey.
Measurement and research company Nielsen is to restructure and will reduce headcount by “hundreds”. Meanwhile, AI company SoundHound has laid off half its remaining employees. Its technology is used by companies like Audacy, Pandora and Netflix.
Spotify was down for a few hours on Friday night.
Ausha has launched Deeplinks, a method to link directly to an episode on a number of different platforms. Here’s an example linking to an episode of their own tips podcast. It’s free for all Ausha customers.
What will Joe Rogan do when his Spotify contract is up for renewal? Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy was on Joe Rogan’s show on Jan 5, and asked how Rogan dealt with the controversy last year (from 1hr21m). “Spotify stood by me the way they stand by rappers”, Rogan said, but then acknowledged that he’d have been removed from the platform if he wasn’t as successful. He added 2m subscribers during the negative publicity, he said; and Rogan also railed against YouTube’s demonetisation policy which apparently affected 25-30% of his videos prior to his Spotify deal.
The EarBuds Podcast Collective this week examines episodes for “light and dark”, chosen by Yeardley Smith.
Moves and hires
- One of the casualties at Nielsen includes Bruce Supovitz who built much of Nielsen’s podcast tools. Supportive of Podnews since our inception, he describes himself as in a good place, and we wish him well.
Tips and tricks - with Podcast Movement Evolutions
- How would you start your own podcast network - and what’s the point? The CEO of The Pharmacy Podcast Network, Todd Eury, is in a free webinar tomorrow from Podbean.
The Tech Stuff - with RSS.com
Podcast analytics service OP3 has published its methodology of calculating a download, and John Spurlock has published more on why prefix analytics aren’t always identical to logfile analysis, particularly a different method of dealing with range requests. Major prefix analytics companies we’ve spoken to, including Podtrac, say that they have similar solutions in place.
- Pinecast is the latest to support OP3 in its dashboard.
- OP3 reports the Podnews Daily has had 49,126 downloads in the last 30 days.
Cloudflare has launched Wildebeest, an ActivityPub and Mastodon-compatible server.
Writing transcripts for the
podcast:transcripttag? To support every client who might want to use it, ensure the CORS headers are set and open to everyone.
Podcast News - with editaudio
This page contains automated links to Apple Podcasts. We may receive a commission for purchases made.
Podcast data for Jan 16
- #1 in Apple Podcasts: US: Suspect (Wondery | Campside) IE: The Diary Of A CEO with Steven Bartlett (Steven Bartlett)
- #1 in Spotify: US: The Joe Rogan Experience (Joe Rogan) IE: The Diary Of A CEO with Steven Bartlett (Steven Bartlett)
- Over the last week:
197,851 podcasts published at least one new episode.
That’s up 7.3% weekly; down 6.8% monthly.Data: Podcast Index
Pod Events - with Radiodays Europe 2023
Latest Pod Jobs