Podcasting: a billion dollar market in the US this year
· 3.6 minutes to read
The IAB has published its Annual Report, predicting that “in 2021, [US] podcasting will be a $1 billion market”. The organisation had $33.2m of revenue in 2020; $6.4m of that is from the IAB Tech Lab, who work on the podcast measurement standards.
- It’ll be a billion dollars in the US; Omdia has reported podcasting is $1.4bn globally already.
iVoox, the Spanish-language podcast platform, now has 165 exclusive and free iVoox Originals podcasts. Some publishers have seen audience growth of up to 1000%, the company says, and the platform has “registered unstoppable growth”, according to their press release.
Warner Media’s Rooster Teeth is profiled in Venture Beat, along with the news that the Roost Podcast Network is to launch a further six shows this year.
Podeo, a podcast platform based in Beirut, Lebanon, has completed a funding round. The amount was not disclosed. The company makes podcasts and has its own app that aggregates English and Arabic shows.
Religion podcasts have the most episodes per series, points out ART19's Data Director, Chad Hollowed.
Joe Rogan’s been accused of saying something transphobic again.
Thank you to Riverside․fm - online here - for returning as a gold supporter today. As used by podcasters like Hillary Clinton, it’s the easiest way to record podcasts and video interviews in studio quality from anywhere - all from the browser. (For audio, our Editor has been testing it out in Podland; and for video you’ll see some videos produced with Riverside at Radiodays Asia). Give it a go for free; and support Podnews like they do.
The Tech Stuff - with RSS․com
- Our page monitoring podcasts that have changed podcast hosting companies now calculates overall totals for each host.
- Hypercatcher now supports the Podcast Index funding tag.
- The Podcast Index data dump will now be weekly, and now includes the latest audio enclosure URL in the data, which is useful for analysis (and, OK, because we asked for it). The Podcast Index stats page says it currently includes 1,547,343 podcasts. (If you’re counting, Podcast Industry Insights says there are 1,989,538 in Apple Podcasts.)
- CastCoverage, a web-based podcast player, now supports transcripts and chapters. Here’s a good example of how it works.
- One for the test suite: spotted by Dave Jones and hosted by Anchor, this podcast has 11,864 episodes. Gulp.
Want to record Clubhouse or Twitter Spaces? Rob Greenlee links to the right cables and things you need.
Tom Webster rants about bad Clubhouse / tells you politely how your Clubhouse room might possibly be better.
Tips and tricks - with Radiodays Asia
Podcast News - with Toyota Untold