Anchor shares podcast stats; The Guardian's daily podcast goes live
November 2, 2018
Podcast platform Anchor has posted data on how people listened to its podcasts in September. Apple Podcasts has 52% of all downloads; Spotify has 19%; Google Podcasts has just 0.9%. (Google might want to read this.)
Meanwhile Leo Hornak, who was billed as the Executive Producer for Today In Focus, curiously removed any mention of The Guardian from his Twitter biography just a few days ago. He's credited as show developer, but not as an Exec Producer, in the latest episode.
Migrate to Blubrry for Free Today — Blubrry podcast hosting works with "any" publishing platform. We specialize in WordPress Podcasting, but you can also publish directly on our platform and embed our beautiful player on your website!
Global, the media and entertainment company, has launched DAX in Canada. The company acquired the digital audio sales division of Canadian based leanStream, which already represents companies like TuneIn and 8tracks. Global adds Toronto to its list of office locations alongside its headquarters in London and DAX divisions based in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit, Hamburg and Paris.
RAIN thinks that Apple are considering investing in iHeartMedia.
More on the BBC's new "radio, music and podcasts" app BBC Sounds (a UK-only app, for now, but a mostly globally-available website):
- All BBC domestic radio stations have rebranded their Twitter names to include their availability on BBC Sounds, and all on-air messaging now includes BBC Sounds as their main platform.
- Some BBC podcasts are now exclusively available on BBC Sounds, including End of Days, which will be available on other platforms later in the year
- The app is getting some outdoor marketing
- There's a (long) and star-studded TV trailer for the app
- It contained, we understand, two third-party podcasts at launch. Swipe Left Swipe Left is in BBC Sounds and the BBC website here: while the original is 16 programmes long, the BBC Sounds version is only 10 programmes (and edited to remove commercials).
- The app has a number of omissions - no support for Apple CarPlay or for Chromecast, but also, oddly, no BBC logo is visible once inside the app.
The theme for Podcast Brunch Club - like book club, but for podcasts - for November is artificial intelligence.
Spotify has made net profit for the first time. It's the result of a revaluation of their shareholding of Tencent, though.
How should you use podcasts in the classroom? A set of academics have been working on some open educational resources to help.
- Cary Green says that
All of us Podcasters benefit when more people discover podcasts:
There is still a very large portion of the worldwide population that don’t even know what a podcast is or how to access one. We can ALL work together to change that — and we SHOULD.
|Profoundly Pointless, by news anchor Nick VinZant, is a show in two parts. "The Profound part features fascinating interviews with everyone from athletes and celebrities to professional domintrixes and dinosaur hunters. The Pointless part seeks to answer life's greatest questions." (Podbean)|
|The latest episode of BE Podcasting focuses on the recent OzPod conference, and some of the highlights. Thoughts into some of the statistics, the future of audio, smart speakers (are they a “thing”?), branded podcasts, and more.|
|Podcasting Smarter, the Podbean podcast, has a guest of James Cridland, the editor of Podnews, in their latest episode.|
Thank you to Chartable - everything you need to know about your podcast, in one place - and to Sonic Influencer Marketing - a leading podcast and radio performance marketing agency - for being our newest silver supporters. Your support helps us continue publishing every day. Thank you!
<< Australian Podcast Awards open for entries; NPR training release more resources