Where is podcasting moving fastest?
December 28, 2018 · 1.8 minutes to read
Voxnest has published The State Of The Podcast Universe Report (pdf). It looks at the podcast marketplace across the globe, and reports that podcasting is growing fastest in India; while the podcast market in China is "huge": earning at least ten times more revenue than the US.
- "Most would classify [Google Podcasts] as a big disappointment", says the report, placing the app at #5, and noting that Android is responsible for only 23.7% of all podcast listens (and smart speakers just 1.3%). Spotify, the company's data shows, is a strong second - responsible for 25% of the downloads of Apple Podcasts.
- The company says that it's already paid over $1m to podcasters who use their dynamic ad platform. They saw a 21% increase in new podcast episodes on their own platform during the year.
Hiring Pregnant Podcast Talent — Life, Listened, an independent podcast production company, is seeking a diverse cast of talent in the first two trimesters of pregnancy for a paid guest position on a show to launch in early 2019.
Announcing Blubrry Podcast Stats are IAB Certified — IAB Certified Stats, You do not need to host at Blubrry to get certified. Our platform integrates with nearly all major podcast hosting platforms get started today for $5.00 a month.
The Podcast Movement Holiday Sale is ON! — The world's largest conference in podcasting is back, and it's our BIGGEST SALE OF THE YEAR. Save over $300, and join nearly 3,000 podcasters from around the world this August. SALE ENDS JANUARY 2!
Omny Studio has indicated it is applying for IAB Certification. They join Voxnest/Spreaker, Megaphone, Libsyn, and ART19.
The Amazon Alexa smart-speaker service struggled to cope with new registrations on Christmas Day. According to AppAnnie, the two smart-speaker apps, required to set Alexa or Google devices up, appeared high in the charts throughout the day, though:
- The Amazon Alexa app was a top 10 app in 11 countries (iPhone); and in 6 countries (Android).
- Google Home was a top 10 app in 9 countries (iPhone); and in 12 countries (Android).
If you've been gifted a smart speaker, "OK, Google, play the news from Podnews podcasting news" is supposed to work (or set it up in your news preferences); or add Podnews to your Amazon Alexa flash briefing.
Stats and data
- After their invention in 2004, the total amount of available podcasts is estimated at 609,000. The total amount of books published just this year... is over four times larger.
- Longer, customized version of ads have 43% greater recall compared to a shorter, more conventional ad for the same product, says Nielsen's Ad Effectiveness study.
- The best new drinks podcasts in 2018 (Drinks Adventures)
- Hall of fame podcaster Gary Leland posts his top ten crypto podcasts.
Thank you to Andrea McNamara who is our latest supporter. She opted to use our new non-Patreon supporter's page. Thanks to her, we've begun working on a supporter's dashboard: which you don't even need a password to use.
<< There were 200,000 new podcasts in 2018