Trade Secrets: hear the show again
One of the original podcasts, Trade Secrets with Dave Winer and Adam Curry, has returned to podcast apps. The podcast ran from Sept 2004 to Jan 2005, and includes discussions about the name “podcasting”, iPodder, the open nature of the medium, and old-fashioned cellphones. With the permission of both Dave and Adam, to preserve our history we’ve given it a modern RSS feed, so you can listen in your own podcast app. (It’s also available in any new podcast app that uses the Podcast Index).
- As Dave Winer points out in his blog, XML - the format used in RSS - was 25 years old on Friday.
We need to do a better job, says Elsie Escobar, of keeping our own historical records. She has written a post focusing on four Black podcast creators. Meanwhile, the EarBuds Podcast Collective - which celebrates its sixth anniversary this week - shares podcasts about Black history.
Audio storytelling podcast network Realm sees the best marketing opportunities for new shows in dynamically-inserted ads in their own network - which work almost ten times better than ad swaps, the company says. The team will do a Reddit AMA tomorrow in /r/podcasting.
Spotify has signed another exclusive - comedy show Vad? med IJustWantToBeCool is Sweden’s “biggest Gen Z show”, started in 2020. It was with Bauer Media’s Podplay.
The FTC, the US trade regulator, has signalled that it will look closer at endorsement in podcast ads. In short: if you’ve not tried a product, don’t pretend you have.
Here are the Hindenburg team demonstrating the new Hindenburg PRO v2.
Troy Price writes about his impressions and learnings from PodFest in Orlando.
In Kuwait, stc, a telecoms company, ran a workshop about podcasting.
Radio isn’t dying in South Africa; but an academic says podcasts are growing, even if mobile data is expensive in the country.
Tips and tricks - with Podcast Movement Evolutions
- How do you measure podcast success? Ausha gives a number of things to look at, beyond the numbers.
Speed up your podcast post-production — save hours per episode!Paid content
In seconds, get:
- Complete shownotes with episode description
- Chapters with titles and summaries (readable by Youtube and Spotify)
- Full transcript
- Quotable highlights (great for social media snippets)
Podium is your podcast production copilot and gives you a new edge to increase your podcast’s discoverability, SEO, accessibility, and bottom line—listenership!
Free for a limited time! Visit https://hello.podium.page
Podcast data for Feb 14
- #1 in Apple Podcasts: US: Stolen Hearts (Wondery) NZ: Between Two Beers Podcast (Steven Holloway, Seamus Marten & The Alternative Commentary Collective)
- #1 in Spotify: US: The Joe Rogan Experience (Joe Rogan) NZ: The Joe Rogan Experience (Joe Rogan)
- Over the last week:
215,925 podcasts published at least one new episode.
That’s down 0.2% weekly; up 8.4% monthly.Data: Podcast Index
Pod Events - with Radiodays Europe 2023
Latest Pod Jobs