Reviewed: the Nomono Sound Capsule
Exclusive: Podnews has reviewed the Nomono Sound Capsule, an ingenious field-recording tool from Norway. What does it do - and who would benefit from it the most?Nomono 🇳🇴
The Podcast Academy has announced the association’s 2023-2024 Officers. Donald Albright (Tenderfoot TV) continues as Chairperson; Christy Mirabal (SiriusXM) continues as Vice-Chairperson. New as Secretary is Martha C Little (Audible), replacing Alia Tavakolian; the new treasurer is Sierra Reed (Vision Media Partners), replacing Rob Greenlee.The Podcast Academy 🇺🇸
Tenderfoot TV 🇺🇸 Audible 🇺🇸 SiriusXM 🇺🇸
SoundOut, a sonic brand tracking company, has published The SoundOut Index 2023, containing a look at company sonic brands in the US. Hot Pockets has the most recognisable sonic logo; Netflix is at 12; YouTube at 64; Audible at 104; and Acast’s “North Star” sonic brand is at #111.Acast 🇸🇪
Podsights has released its Q2/23 Podcast Advertising Benchmark Report. The average conversion rate in 2022 was 1.21%, a 9% year-over-year increase. Conversion rates for mobile app installs rose sharply by 44%, says the data.Podsights 🇺🇸
Goodnight, Spotify Live. The app shut for good yesterday.Spotify 🇸🇪
Let’s change the standard for host-read advertising, says Nick Hilton in a blog post. He argues we’re undervaluing the medium: echoing Dan Granger’s thoughts in the Podcast Business Journal last Friday.
Moves and hires
- SCA, the owner of the LiSTNR app in Australia, has announced a new CEO: John Kelly, the company’s current COO. The current CEO, Grant Blackley, will step down on Jun 30.
Tips and tricks
- To check how your podcast looks in YouTube Music, you can either a) download the app or b) visit the website. If you’re outside the US, a VPN will do the trick: ProtonVPN is trustworthy and has a free tier. (Remember: you’ll need to upload your show separately to YouTube, as a video file - or use a service like Headliner.)
The Tech Stuff - with The Podcast Standards Project
YouTubeMusic, according to the technical data that’s visible in the app (and checked against this list) makes all audio 128kbps AAC (roughly the same audio quality as 160kbps MP3).
Podcast app Podcast Guru now supports podping - so you’ll get realtime notifications when your podcast app has released new shows, within a minute or so (unlike Apple, Spotify or others who can take much longer).Spotify 🇸🇪
There’s now a new space for announcements when changes have been made to the new podcast namespace (and there are a few technical additions to the value4value specs).
Podcast data for May 1
- #1 in Apple Podcasts: US: Wiser Than Me with Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Lemonada Media) IE: The Kinahans (The Irish Sun)
- #1 in Spotify: US: The Joe Rogan Experience (Joe Rogan) IE: The Kinahans (The Irish Sun)
- Over the last week, 215,901 podcasts published at least one new episode. See more podcast data at the Podcast Business Journal.
Latest Pod Jobs