Google Podcasts turns on Chromecast; and Podcast Awards 2018 winners
October 1, 2018
Welcome to our new subscribers last week, including excellent folk from Acast, Simplecast, MDR, Pocketcasts, Westwood One, the BBC, Audioboom, Bauer Media, Prisa Media and Communicorp UK.
Google has finally switched on Chromecast functionality in Google Podcasts, so listeners can enjoy podcasts on their TVs and connected speakers. (This was one of the items in How Google Podcasts could grow faster, an opinion piece from Podnews's editor).
International Podcast Day was yesterday. Included in the day, the winners of the Podcast Awards 2018 were announced. There's a full list of the winners and nominations on their website, with subscribe links to all major platforms.
Spotify now appears to be supporting podcasts in Android Auto a little better than they used to - there's now a skip-forward button in the display for podcasts, rather than just "skip track". It's still impossible to select a podcast to listen to in Spotify's Android Auto interface.
Curiosity Daily: your Flash Briefing's hidden gem — Get smarter in just a few minutes with a unique Flash Briefing for Alexa users. Curiosity.com presents a daily morning-show-style podcast covering science, psychology, life hacks and more. No politics!
Get Early Access to Podchaser Creator Profiles — Hosts, Producers, Editors, and all podcast Creators, sign up for early access to your Podchaser Creator profile, and TeePublic will send you a free t-shirt and sticker branded with your podcast art!
22+ Podcasters Share Their Best Strategies for Getting ROI from a Podcast Show - the way to earn money isn't, according to these, to fill a podcast full of ads.
Radio and podcast consultant Valerie Geller spoke at Next Radio 2018: there are no boring stories, only boring storytellers. You can watch the full video, free, here.
"Google’s app offers no less than 16 speeds. My f-ing bike only has five!"
- Lauren Murrow writes a diatribe against "podfasters", people who listen to podcasts on fast speed.
"If the average podcast listener only listens to about 7 in a week, with so many titles and millions of episodes to choose from, consider the odds"
- It's not a bubble: it's a business, says Steven Goldstein.
"No matter how great (European podcast producers) work is, it would always be lumped into an otherized-category of “international” by the podcast makers who were defining the industry — from America."
- Let’s Put the “International” in International Podcast Day, says Lindsay Patterson.
- Media Masters is an extended interview podcast from the UK with media people at the top of their career. The latest episode is with Alison Phillips, Editor of the Daily Mirror, a UK newspaper. (We thank them for their support). (Buzzsprout)
- Long Distance asks what it means to be Filipino outside of the homeland. "Tales of love, loss, history, and humor through audio documentaries and creative approaches to storytelling with sound." (Paola Mardo / Simplecast)
- The The One Show Show is a fan podcast about UK television's The One Show, if by "fan podcast" you mean a set of people pointing out how irredeemably awful the show is. Presented by John Holmes (not that one), who's a UK radio presenter and comedian. (Great Big Owl / Acast)
- Seven great journalism podcasts you need to listen to this weekend (Journalism·co·uk)
A few little updates to Podnews: we've fiddled with our articles page to group things together better. Our podcast pages now show whether podcasts are using MP3 or AAC; our link button builder tool also contains a listen page builder for your website, for social media links. We've also permanently removed our Google AdSense code which was on some pages - we plan to spend the AU$1.76 we earned last month on most of a chocolate bar. Cheers, Google!
<< Spotify - podcast listening up 367%; also increases on Deezer