Apple launch podcast analytics: now available
December 15, 2017
- It only measures devices on iOS 11 (only using the Apple Podcasts app) and iTunes 12.7. Android, web plays, listening using Overcast and other apps are not measured.
- Only 59% of iOS devices are running iOS 11. Apple Podcasts has 20.2% of all podcast plays, according to 2016 stats from Blubrry. iTunes has a further 11.6%. This may mean that Apple Podcasts Analytics could be only measuring 20% of total podcast plays.
- Of note: it measures devices, and not people. Presumably, the HomePod will be a further "device".
- For fun: here are the original screenshots of what was promised (slide 75) - surprisingly similar to what we have now.
- "We found a lot of discrepancies between Apple's stats and our Libsyn stats for Apple users" says one commenter in a Facebook group.
- How is it for you? We'd love to know. Come and comment on Facebook and let us know.
The New Yorker's Sarah Larson releases her "best podcasts of 2017".
Ricky Gervais is Deadly Sirius will be available from today on iTunes and Acast for £1.99 (about US$2.70). As at the time of writing, it doesn't appear to be on iTunes; it'll be in the audiobooks section, though, when it is.
The BBC is experimenting with a set of text-to-speech tools, mainly to streamline the news-gathering process.
- Building a podcast app? Joe Clark has a list of podcasts to test it with.
I'm grateful to Pacific Content and to JCALdigital for joining our list of supporters today. And, yes, we were early today - because of the big news.
<< Patreon: 'We messed up', cancels fee changes