Pushkin Industries Announces PushNik, A Premium Subscription Program Debuting May 2021
PRESS RELEASE · New York NY, USA ·
Jacob Weisberg, co-founder and CEO of Pushkin Industries, announced PushNik, a premium audio content subscription that will launch with Apple Podcasts Subscriptions when the platform debuts worldwide in May 2021. Pushkin Industries is known for its thoughtful, chart-topping podcasts, including Revisionist History hosted by Pushkin co-founder and President Malcolm Gladwell, The Happiness Lab with Dr. Laurie Santos, Against the Rules with Michael Lewis, The Last Archive with Jill Lepore, Cautionary Tales with Tim Harford, Broken Record, and the recent #1 Apple Podcasts hit Lost Hills.
“The advertising model has fueled a huge burst of creative output and will always be important to podcasting,” said Weisberg. “But Malcolm and I have always believed that paid content -- whether it be through membership programs or single purchase products like audiobooks -- are what independent creators like us need to succeed and thrive over the long term.”
At launch, the benefits of a PushNik membership include:
- Ad-free listening across the catalogue of independently produced Pushkin podcasts, including Revisionist History, The Happiness Lab, and Against the Rules.
- Extended “Producer’s Cut” episodes from the Broken Record archive, including iconic interviews with legendary host Rick Rubin.
- The first in a series of “Where Are They Now?” episodes from Against the Rules, in which Michael Lewis and his producers catch up with key figures from the show’s first two seasons.
- Weekly news roundups from Deep Background host and Harvard Law professor Noah Feldman, including his analysis on important Supreme Court decisions.
Over time, PushNik subscribers -- “PushNiks” -- will also have access to:
- Behind-the-scenes episodes and other bonus content from fan-favorite hosts, including Malcolm Gladwell, Dr. Laurie Santos, Michael Lewis, Jill Lepore, Tim Harford, and Rick Rubin.
- Exclusive previews of upcoming shows and audiobooks.
- Early or “binge” access to select new series.
Much-anticipated next seasons of Revisionist History, The Happiness Lab, and Against the Rules are scheduled to premiere later this year, and the Pushkin content calendar also includes:
- The Bomber Mafia audiobook. Inspired by several episodes from the fifth season of Revisionist History, The Bomber Mafia is Malcolm Gladwell’s next audiobook, which expands on these episodes and has been produced intentionally for the audiobook format. The Bomber Mafia is available beginning April 27.
- The Last Archive. Harvard professor and New Yorker staff writer Jill Lepore’s podcast returns April 29 for a second season and explores the evolution of doubt over the course of the 20th century.
- A Slight Change of Plans. A new interview show hosted by Dr. Maya Shankar about navigating change premiering May 20.
- Be Antiracist with Ibram X. Kendi. The esteemed writer and scholar dissect the policies that contribute to racial inequity and social injustice in this co-production with iHeartMedia premiering June 9.
Monthly subscriptions to PushNik will cost $4.99 per month, and the introductory annual membership costs $39.99 per year. Annual memberships will increase to $49.99 per year in August. Pushkin shows will remain free with ads on Apple Podcasts and other podcast platforms.
“Podcasting totally changed my approach to storytelling,” said Gladwell. “When I heard about Apple Podcasts Subscriptions, it was another mind shift. Our producers and I have so many ideas that don’t fit into existing models but will now have an outlet. This is a big step forward in the evolution of the audio content business.”
“Podcasting exists today because of Apple,” added Weisberg. “Now they’re stepping up to help us connect more deeply with our listeners and build a healthy business.”
Pushkin Industries is the audiobook production company co-founded by Malcolm Gladwell and Jacob Weisberg in 2018. Pushkin produces Gladwell’s Revisionist History and has launched seven new shows into the top 10 on Apple Podcasts Charts: Against the Rules, hosted by bestselling author and journalist Michael Lewis; Cautionary Tales from Financial Times columnist Tim Harford; The Happiness Lab, hosted by Dr. Laurie Santos; The Last Archive, hosted by Jill Lepore, Deep Cover, Solvable and Dana Goodyear’s Lost Hills. Upcoming Pushkin shows include A Slight Change of Plans, hosted by Dr. Maya Shankar, and Be Antiracist with Ibram X. Kendi. Pushkin’s audiobooks include the bestselling audiobook version of Gladwell’s Talking to Strangers (Hachette Audio, 2019) and Michael Specter’s #1 bestseller Fauci. Pushkin will publish the audiobook version of Gladwell’s next book The Bomber Mafia on April 27, 2021. With all our projects, we strive to challenge listeners, encourage curiosity and inspire joy. Visit pushkin.fm, where you can purchase our audiobooks and then listen on your podcast player of choice. @PushkinPods on Twitter.
This is a press release which we link to from our daily newsletter about podcasting and on-demand. This is reprinted verbatim; we may rewrite headlines and descriptions.