Address: 111 Sutter St 7th floor, San Francisco, CA 94104, USA
Substack is an American online platform that provides publishing, payment, analytics, and design infrastructure to support subscription newsletters. It allows writers to send digital newsletters directly to subscribers. Founded in 2017, Substack is headquartered in San Francisco. Wikipedia
- Aug 15: For a time yesterday, Substack was blocking popular podcast app Overcast, and the Podcast Index, from accessing shows hosted on the platform. The shows are hosted using the Cloudflare CDN - "Do not host podcast feeds behind Cloudflare", says Overcast's developer Marco Arment, before explaining what settings to use if you do.
- Jun 23: Voltage has launched two new high-profile podcasts on Substack. "Two of the biggest obstacles facing independent podcasters are audience engagement and monetization," suggests JE Petersen, "and Substack is fantastic at both things".
- Mar 9: Substack has come under fire for not giving free 301 redirects for RSS feeds. The company, which offers free podcast hosting, deletes 301 redirects if you delete your account with them.
- Oct 21, 2022: The Active Voice has launched a new podcast of conversations with the most interesting writers and thinkers working today. It's hosted by Hamish McKenzie, co-founder and chief writing officer at Substack.
- Aug 31, 2022: Substack has added a podcast preview feature, allowing creators to add a second audio file to send to free subscribers only. You might use that as a teaser. The company has also added separate show notes.
See all news stories
Data credits: Google Maps, Podnews newsletter, Wikipedia